If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Half savory, half sweet and a touch of heat. Perfect spread on an english muffin or bagel with a little cream cheese, served with whipped goat cheese on crostini, baked in phyllo on top of brie (OMG!), mixed in my baked potato , tossed in with sautéed green beans, spread on cheeseburger....so many uses!
Adapted from Martha Stewart —The Hungry Leopard
Makes approximately 8-9 cups
- 1.5 pounds bacon
- 2 sweet onions, diced
- 2 Gala apples, diced
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2-3/4 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 cup REAL maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Fry up your bacon in a big ole skillet. *I like to pop it in a cold oven and then turn it up to 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes. Perfect bacon overtime but don’t forget to lay some tin foil down first!
- Sauté those onions until translucent. Leave about a TBS of bacon grease in skillet or pour some in from your oven pan.
- Add garlic and apples to onions. Sauté about 5-8 minutes, until apples are “softish.”
- Add all remaining ingredients to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Turn down to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes to an 1 hour. Everything will caramelize and meld together. You want it to be thick and gooey!
- Optional step: I threw mine in the food processor after I took that last photo and gave it a few pulses until it reached the consistency I wanted. A blender would work, too!
- EAT and ENJOY! Will keep in refrigerator for approximately 3 weeks.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Appetizer to Share with Friends