If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe for Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Jicama is flavorful, easy, and super-healthy. Bibb lettuce acts as a crunchy green cup for tender ground chicken flavored with soy, rice wine vinegar, and jalapeño peppers. The unexpected crisp bite of jicama makes a great textural counterpoint to the softer chicken & mushrooms, and is also a fantastic alternative to the hard to find (at least in my area) traditional fresh water chestnuts.
Makes 8-12 lettice cups
- 1 pound Ground Chicken
- 2 cups Peeled & Diced Jicama
- 1/2 cup Chopped Scallion
- 8 ounces Chopped Fresh Mushrooms
- 2 Seeded & Finely Chopped Jalepeno Pepppers
- 2 tablespoons Freshly Minced Garlic
- 3 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 Head Bibb Lettuce
- Begin by prepping all of your vegetables and measuring out the liquids.
- Place a large skillet over high heat and add the 1 tablespoon of sesame oil and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to the pan. Heat until the pan is sizzling hot.
- Once at temperature, add the mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until slightly shrunken and browned, stirring occasionally.
- Next, add the ground chicken, and using a spatula, break the meat apart. Add a pinch of salt to start seasoning the meat. Cook 1 min, then add the soy sauce and a couple of grinds of fresh black pepper. Continue to mix every so often, to avoid burning. Cook thoroughly - The chicken will turn from pink to white, when cooked.
- Add the rice wine vinegar, jalapeño peppers (1 pepper for mild, 2 peppers for spicy), scallions, garlic and sugar to the chicken. Stir gently. Allow the liquid to cook and reduce by half.
- Once reduced, add the diced jicama and cook until slightly softened.
- While the jicama cooks, quickly rinse and dry your Bibb lettuce leaves. Arrange on a platter.
- Once the chicken mixture is finished, adjust the salt & pepper to taste. Serve alongside the lettuce leaves and garnish with scallions & jalapeño slices.