This is a great recipe in which to use those left over asparagus spears and ends from the Raw Asparagus Salad I posted earlier. If you do not have those little leftovers – just use about a half a bunch (approximately 15 spears) of young, tender asparagus and one large bulb of fennel. The Prosciutto adds a nice little salty bite to the rich sweetness of the fennel....
(approximately) 15 spears young tender asparagus – chopped into thirds
1 large bulb fennel (sliced as thin as possible)
6 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt (aprox.)
3 slices Prosciutto (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 425. Place a piece of parchment on small baking sheet. Lay fennel on baking sheet and drizzle with 3 tablespoons olive oil and ¼ to ½ teaspoon salt – depending your salt liking...Roast for about 20 mins. until tender – turning 3 times during roasting.
- Heat additional 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium high heat in medium saucepan. Add asparagus and ¼ to ½ teaspoon salt (according to your salt liking...) and a few grinds fresh black pepper. Sauté on medium high, until crisp tender. Turn heat down to low and add Prosciutto. When warmed through, set aside.
- Meanwhile, when fennel is done take out of oven and toss together with asparagus and Prosciutto. Warm through – adjust for salt and pepper and serve.
- Nice caramel-ly, slightly crunchy-tart-rich-subtly sweet-salty starter or side dish...
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Asparagus Recipe