If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This lentil-based stock makes a surprisingly tasty broth that looks and tastes like it's made with chicken. Although it qualifies as vegan, it could even fool a meat eater. It's fast and easy to make and can be used wherever chicken broth is called for, or as a warm treat on its own. —Wags
Makes about a quart
- 1/3 cup red lentils
- 1/4 cup yellow split peas or chana dal
- 1 small onion or 1/2 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4.5 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine the lentils and wash them in several cold changes of water.
- Combine the onion and lentils in a pot and add the water.
- Add the turmeric and salt.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for a half hour.
- Strain out the liquid into a separate container and season with salt if necessary. Discard the lentils and onions or use for another purpose.