Author Notes: This lentil-based stock makes a surprisingly tasty broth that looks and tastes like it's made with chicken. Although it qualifies as vegan, it could even fool a meat eater. It's fast and easy to make and can be used wherever chicken broth is called for, or as a warm treat on its own. —Wags
Makes: about a quart
cup red lentils
cup yellow split peas or chana dal
small onion or 1/2 large onion, coarsely chopped
teaspoon ground turmeric
- Combine the lentils and wash them in several cold changes of water.
- Combine the onion and lentils in a pot and add the water.
- Add the turmeric and salt.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for a half hour.
- Strain out the liquid into a separate container and season with salt if necessary. Discard the lentils and onions or use for another purpose.