If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This detoxifying salad of cabbage, forbidden black rice, mint, carrots, celery, and sesame seeds is dressed in a creamy ginger miso vinaigrette. —Maren Epstein
Ginger Miso Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 cup Toasted Sesame Oil
- 3 tablespoons Mellow White Miso
- 1/4 cup Ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 pinches Red Pepper Chili Flakes
Pressed Cabbage Salad
- 1 cup Forbidden Black Rice, cooked
- 4 cups Cabbage, shredded
- 2 Carrots, matchstick
- 2 Celery Stalks, sliced thinly on bias
- 1/4 cup Black Sesame Seeds
- 1/2 cup Fresh Mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Sea Salt
- For the Dressing emulsify all of the ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- For the salad: Cook the rice according to the packaging. Or Add 1 and 1/3rd C of boiling water to 1 C of rice with 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring the water to a boil, then immediately reduce to a simmer and cover. Allow the rice to cook for 25 minutes or until all of the water has been absorbed by the rice. Then allow the rice to sit covered to steam for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Mix the cabbage with about 1 Tsp. of salt. Place it in a large bowl and then put another heavy pot on top of the cabbage to weigh it down. I also like to add a mason jar filled with water to make the weight as heavy as possible. Allow the cabbage to sit this way for 2 hours to ½ a day. Pour off the excess water and salt.
- Mix the cabbage with the rice, sesame, carrots, celery and mint. Mix well and season to taste.