If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A savory atta (wholewheat) muffin with a hint of Indian spices and a bunch of vegetables that makes an excellent all-in breakfast bite. Great for picnics too! No additional condiments needed! —Shuchi
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups atta (indian wholewheat flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (or 1/2 cup milk + 1/4 cup yogurt)
- 1/2 cup hard cheese like cheddar, gouda (I used a jalapeno cheddar)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup baby spinach, washed and roughly chopped
- 2 sprigs cilantro, finely chopped (with stalk)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- pinches paprika or red chili powder
- pinches salt
- Take 1 tablespoon of the butter and heat on a non stick pan. Add the onions and red peppers, along with a pinch of salt, and cook till they begin to get tender. Add the remaining spices, spinach and cilantro and cook just till the leaves wilt. Turn off heat and cool the mixture.
- Heat oven to 400F and grease/line 8 muffin cups and keep aside.
- Mix the atta (flour), salt, sugar and baking powder. Keep aside.
- Beat the remaining butter and the eggs. Stir in the buttermilk and mix well.
- Now add the dry mix to the wet, and slowly fold. Do not overmix!
- Finally stir in the cheese and the veggie mixture and give it one last mix.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin pan with an ice cream scoop (it'll be thick and sticky)
- Bake for 16-20 mins till a toothpick comes out clean. I also give it a 2-3 min high broil in the end to really crisp up the tops!