If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This all-natural indian-style chutney made with fresh beets, raisins, tamarind and spices is a deliciously balanced sweet & spicy condiment on crackers, breads, dosas or even eggs! —Shuchi
Makes 8oz jar
- 1 large beetroot, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 dried red chilies
- 1 teaspoon panch phoran (indian 5 seed mix of cumin, nigella, black mustard, fenugreek and fennel seeds)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 4 tablespoons golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 5-6 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat the oil in a deep bottomed pan. Add the chilies and panch phoran mix. Cook till the seeds begin to splutter.
- Add the ginger, cumin and sugar, and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the tamarind paste, along with the beets, raisins, salt and 2 cups water. Cover and cook on medium-high heat till the beets are really tender, and most of the liquid has been absorbed (around 35-40 mins). Make sure the mixture is not completely dry. Add a little water if needed.
- Cool and blend till smooth. Store in an airtight container (will easily last up to a week)
- Enjoy this sweet & spicy chutney on crackers, breads, dosas, in salads or even over eggs!