Author Notes: Nothing says "Spring has Sprung" better than spring onions. Seems, at least in my neck o' the woods, this is the only time of year you can get those perfectly beautiful large Spring Green Onion a.k.a. humongo scallions. Usually see them in bunches of three around here. My mom introduced me to these beauties only last year. I know, I've lead a sheltered life. She wasn't big on grilling, so she microwaved them with a little butter, salt and pepper. My husband and I have NO aversion to grilling and actually like these with most everything. —vivisue
bunch Spring Green Onions (2 1/2" or so)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Fresh Ground Pepper
- Rinse each onion well and remove tops, leaving about 4 inches. Remove the root ends.
- Split each onion in half, longwise.
- Drizzle each half with the olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat grill or grilling pan to medium high heat. Place each half of the onion on the grill, with the cut side down first. Grill for 10 minutes. Then flip with a spatula, holding on to the sides with tongs. A little more salt and pepper if you want. Grill for another 5 minutes.
- Serve as a side with everything from baked chicken to good ol' Texas BBQ. This one will be a crowd pleaser! Easy peasy!