If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Bite-size appetizers, perfect for cocktail parties, game night or just like that to munch with family and friends. Indian version of falafels, very crunchy and oh-so-delicious. —Simplyvegetarian777
Makes 18-20 kebabs
- 1/2 cup Chana Dahl
- 3-4 tablespoons Bread Crumbs
- 1 piece Ginger
- 1 Green Chili, small
- 5 sprigs Cilantro leaves
- 1&1/2 cups Oil, for deep frying
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1/4 teaspoon Fennel powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Dry Mango Powder or 1 tsp Lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Preparing Chana Dahl Wash Dahl till water runs clear. Soak it in 3/4 cup water for 3 to 4 hrs. Drain the water completely and let sit in a strainer for 10 minutes. Take the food processor and grind the dal in it "coarsely". We want grainy texture. Set it aside in a mixing bowl.
- Preparing & Shaping Kebabs 1. Grind ginger, chili and cilantro leaves fine in the food processor and add to the ground dahl in the mixing bowl. 2. Add 3 tbsp bread crumbs and all the spices, mentioned above to the mixing bowl. Bring the mixture together with hands and it is ready when pressed in fist, retains the shape of the fist. If required, add more bread crumbs. 3. Dip your hands in cold water and pinch a key lime size portion of the mixture. Make a tight and smooth ball out of it and set aside in a plate. It should have no cracks on its surface. Finish the mixture likewise and it will make about 18-20 small bite size kebabs. Set them aside on the plate, ready to be deep fried.
- Frying the Kebabs 1. Heat oil in the wok or Kadhai. Once it is hot enough, reduce the flame to medium. 2. Add 5 to 6 kebabs at a time to the wok. Do not over crowd it or else the oil temperature will drop and the kebabs will absorb lot of oil. 3. Fry the kebabs till they are golden in color. Make sure that the temperature is medium or else, they will cook from outside and remain raw from inside. Each lot will take about 3-4 minutes. Also make sure that you give a gap between each lot for oil to heat up again. If you will add too soon, the cold oil will spoil the texture.
- Serving Suggestion Serve these hot with Green Cilantro Chutney and Tamarind Chutney. I had a great time making these cocktail kebabs in my Indian-American Kitchen. I am sure you would enjoy these too!