If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: If a rustic Italian crostata and a southern peach pie had a baby, it would be this tart! A perfect pie crust and succulent filling are topped with a spiced crumble to add layers of texture and flavor. —Leslie Osborne
For the Pie Crust
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening (I prefer non-hydrogenated)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons cold vodka
- 1 egg
- This recipe works well in a food processor, but you can use a pastry cutter to mix by hand.
- Cut the butter and shortening into small cubes and place them in the freezer for 10-20 minutes.
- Mix the flour, sugar, and salt together.
- Mix the water and vodka and place in the freezer. Put the mixing bowl or food processor bowl and the dry ingredients in the freezer for 10-15 minutes or until all ingredients are very cold.
- Take ingredients out of the freezer and add half of the dry ingredients and all of the butter and shortening and pulse until the fat is in tiny chunks.
- Add the rest of the flour and pulse two or three more times until just combined.
- Mix the beaten egg into the water and vodka mixture. Pulse in the liquids until the dough just starts to come together when pressed between your fingers. The mixture will still be crumbly.
- Press dough together into a thick flat disk and cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to one hour, or up to 24 hours. Or you may freeze for up to one month.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and split into two disks. Cover the extra disk and place back in the fridge if you are using both crusts, or freeze for later use.
- Roll the dough out in between two sheets of wax paper or lightly greased parchment paper and put back in the fridge until you are ready to fill.
For the peach filling and streusel topping
- 4 cups fresh or frozen peaches, peeled and sliced
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 cup oats
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the peaches in a bowl and add 1/2 cup flour, sugar, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger. Stir to combine.
- To make the streusel topping, in a separate bowl combine the remaining 1/4 cup flour, oats, brown sugar, remaining 1/2 tsp. ground ginger, and melted butter.
- Remove the pie crust from the fridge and place on a sheet pan. Remove the top layer of parchment paper from the crust and top with the peach filling. Pile it in the center so that there is a two-inch rim all around the edge of the crust.
- Fold the edges of the crust toward the center of the crostata. Egg wash the edges of the crust with the beaten egg.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Let cool for at least 20 minutes before slicing.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Tart