If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This savory mini tart is the result of a snow storm when I wanted something to satisfy my samosa craving, but did not want to go through the hassle of folding and sorting samosas. This tart was born, it is prettier than the original and almost as good. —Rinku Bhattacharya /Spice Chronicles
Makes 12 muffin sized tarts
- 4 medium sized Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 roll of pre-made phyllo sheets
- 1/3 cup olive or coconut oil plus 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup green peas (can be frozen)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees and grease a muffin pan
- Boil the potatoes in their jackets until soft. Place in cold water. Peel and mash the potatoes coarsely. Mix in the salt.
- While the potatoes are cooking. Work with the phyllo sheets about 6 layers at a time. Place the first layer over a clean surface, brush with olive oil and place the second layer over the first. For this purpose, the placement does not have to be perfect and you can allow yourself a few tears here and there.
- Once you have lined up about 6 sheets, cut into a 4-inch by 4-inch piece. Align over the pan and then gently shape to form a shell.
- Continue until you have 12 of these, essentially until all the muffin pans are done.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil and add in the mustard seeds and wait until the seeds crackle
- Add in the ginger and the onion and saute well until translucent.
- Add in the turmeric, cayenne potatoes and the carrots and mix well. Cover and cook for 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add in the peas and mix well and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. If you are using fresh peas add them in with the carrots.
- Sprinkle with the lime juice, mix in the cilantro and the pomegranate seeds.
- Carefully fill the prepared shells with about 1 and half tablespoons of the filling, enough the fill the shell comfortably, but not over stuff it.
- Bake for another 3 to 4 minutes and serve hot.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Tart