Author Notes: In honor of those Broncos, their crazy mile-high city, and their weed-friendly state, I’m offering a rocky mountain high option. (I’m actually making regular brownies but if you happen to be in Colorado or any other marijuana-friendly state, go for the add-in marked "Optional" below.)
Note: All of the expected disclaimers apply. Make sure you purchase from a trusted dispensary. And if you do "indulge," make sure you’re not driving and that you’re hanging with cool people. Basically, don’t do anything stupid. —Mario Batali
Makes: 9 good-size brownies
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 22 min
cup butter, cut into 4 equal pieces
grams high quality marijuana, cleaned and ground (optional)
cup Dutch-process unsweetened cocoa powder
cup granulated sugar
ounces milk-chocolate chips
teaspoon real vanilla extract
cup unbleached all-purpose flour
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 325° F. Grease an 8-by 8-inch baking pan.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter, the marijuana (if using), and cocoa powder, stirring continuously until the butter is just melted. Use a rubber spatula to transfer the cocoa mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- Let the cocoa mixture cool for 2 minutes. Add the sugar, chocolate chips, and vanilla and stir with a wooden spoon until combined. Add the eggs 1 at a time, stirring so that each is well combined. Add the flour and stir until just combined. Do not over-mix.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and bake on the center tack for 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with tiny crumbs.
- Dust with confectioners’ sugar, cut into 9 squares, and serve. Or, store for up to 2 days in a tightly-sealed plastic container.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!