Author Notes: Classical German sweet bread with yeast. Delicious fresh out of the oven for an extended Sunday brunch. —Vera Kern
Makes: 1 loaf
grams all purpose flour
milliliters lukewarm milk
grams fresh yeast
grams soft butter
egg or buttermilk for brushing
sesame seeds or coarse sugar for decoration
In This Recipe
- Dissolve sugar and yeast in the lukewarm milk.
- Mix flour and salt in a big bowl of a hand or stand mixer and stir in the milk mixture.
- Add the egg and let the mixer do it's thing until most of the ingredients are roughly combined.
- Add the soft butter and knead for 8-10 minutes. Make sure the butter is fully absorbed and evenly distributed. The dough should be smooth and come away from the sides of the bowl.
- Cover the bowl and let the dough rest for 45 minutes (I have done anything from 30 to 60 minutes).
- Prepare a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Divide the dough into three equal pieces (or two or four depending on your braiding technique), and braid the dough.
- Place the braid on the prepared baking tray, cover it and let it rest for another 30 minutes.
- In the last 15 minutes of the raise, preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
- Brush the braid with buttermilk or egg wash, decorate with sesame (or coarse sugar or other seeds), and bake for 25 minutes.
- Have a warm piece with some cultured, salted butter.