Makes: 1 loaf
grams sourdough starter
grams all purpose flour
grams fresh yeast
milliliters lukewarm milk
grams soft butter
cream to glaze
- Mix the sourdough, the milk and the fresh yeast in a big bowl.
- Add the flour, sugar, salt, egg and butter and knead by hand or a stand mixer on level 2 for about 10 minutes until you have a smooth dough that comes off the side of the bowl.
- Cover the bowl and let the dough proof for 1 hour.
- If working on a wooden counter, flour it a bit. I work on stone and I find the flour to prevent me from rolling the dough so I leave the work surface blank.
- Grease a baking pan.
- Divide the dough in three parts. I use a scale for this to get three even parts and the braid looks balanced.
- Roll each part into an about 35cm long log. Braid and transfer into the greased pan.
- Brush the braid with some cream, cover it and let if raise until it has doubled in size. For me this took about 90 minutes to two hours.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F. Brush the loaf again with some cream and bake for 35 minutes.