If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Makes: 1 loaf
grams sourdough starter
grams all purpose flour
grams fresh yeast
milliliters lukewarm milk
grams soft butter
cream to glaze
- Mix the sourdough, the milk and the fresh yeast in a big bowl.
- Add the flour, sugar, salt, egg and butter and knead by hand or a stand mixer on level 2 for about 10 minutes until you have a smooth dough that comes off the side of the bowl.
- Cover the bowl and let the dough proof for 1 hour.
- If working on a wooden counter, flour it a bit. I work on stone and I find the flour to prevent me from rolling the dough so I leave the work surface blank.
- Grease a baking pan.
- Divide the dough in three parts. I use a scale for this to get three even parts and the braid looks balanced.
- Roll each part into an about 35cm long log. Braid and transfer into the greased pan.
- Brush the braid with some cream, cover it and let if raise until it has doubled in size. For me this took about 90 minutes to two hours.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F. Brush the loaf again with some cream and bake for 35 minutes.