If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sooni, a sweet Parsi woman from Mumbai, was the mom of an old, long-lost college friend. She used to make up big Tupperware tubs of “Indian Rice Chex” for us useless college kids hanging around the apartment. Sweet and savory and spicy, it was the perfect can’t-stop snack.
It’s actually not so sinfully junky. I make it with coconut oil, fresh garlic, turmeric and fresh roasted, heart-healthy nuts; it’s a rationalization for lightweights. Sooni used Rice Krispies, but I like a combination of shapes and sizes, like Rice Chex and Perky’s Crunchy Rice Cereal (both are gluten-free). I keep the nuts big; cashews and almonds are halved. I use sweetened, shredded coconut because I think the little bit of sugar adds to the wonderful contrasts of flavors.
- 1/2 cup whole almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, halved
- 1/2 cup pepitas / pumpkin seeds
- 4 cups rice chex
- 2.5 cups Perky's Crispy Rice or Rice Krispies
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin, toasted and ground
- 1/2 teaspoon chile powder (I use chimayo)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, ground
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup sweetened, flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Combine nuts and cereals in a large bowl. Set aside. Combine the turmeric, cumin, chile, cayenne, and salt. Set aside
- Melt coconut oil over med heat. Add minced garlic and cook slowly to infuse the oil. When oil is nicely flavored with the garlic, raise the heat a little to brown the garlic slightly.
- Remove heat and add spice mix, combine. Add the spiced oil to the cereal/nut mixture and combine well. Spread out in a half-sheet pan and bake at 250 for about 50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from oven, and turn on broiler. Sprinkle coconut on top of the mixture in the pa, a without mixing it in, place under the broiler for toasting. Be attentive! This will happen quickly.
- Remove from oven, add raisins and parsley and combine all. Allow to cool. Adjust salt/cayenne before serving. Enjoy! Makes about 10 cups