If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Smoky Chicken Chili. No smoker required!! Pulled chicken chili w beans, tomatoes, peppers, garlic, onions & stock. Perfect winter soup! Note: You can skip the first step if you buy a pre-cooked BBQ or Rotisserie cooked chicken. —Holly
For The Smoked Chicken
- 3 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 1 whole raw chicken, organs discarded, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 teaspoons smoked salt, plus more to season the chicken
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 roasting pan with rack and lid
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Use a roasting pan that has a rack and a lid. Mix chicken stock, liquid smoke and 2 teaspoons smoked salt in the bottom of the pan.
- Place the rack in the pan, then put the prepped chicken on top of it. Season the chicken with more smoked salt and pepper, close the lid turn the oven down to 325 and cooked for 2 hours.
- Allow the chicken to cool for about 20 minutes, then pull into one-inch chunks using two forks or by hand. Set aside.
For The Chili:
- 1 whole smoked chicken, meat pulled
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped (remove seeds & membranes)
- 2 poblano peppers, chopped (remove seeds & membranes)
- 2 jalapeño peppers, chopped (remove seeds & membranes)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cans small white beans (Navy or Great Northern) drained & rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup juices from smoked chicken pan
- 2 teaspoons smoked salt
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika (2 tablespoons if not using a smoked bird)
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (ideally smoked chili powder)
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a soup pot on medium heat. Add the onions, poblano peppers, red peppers, jalapeño peppers, and season with 1 teaspoon of the smoked salt. Sauté for 6 minutes. Mix in the garlic and sauté for 1 more mine. Add in all the spices along with the other teaspoon of smoked salt, and let cook for another minute.
- Mix in the cilantro, beans, tomatoes, and stock then bring up to a boil.
- Turn down to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Gently fold in the pulled smoked chicken and simmer without stirring for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit 10 minutes. Serve warm with chopped cilantro, diced green onions, chopped tomatoes, shredded cheese and sour cream.