Author Notes: Waffles made with actual whole foods and healthy flours. NO gluten free mixes. They are crispy on the outside, and light and fluffy inside. My new favorite breakfast!!! Plus, these are actually really good for you :) —GlutenFreeBabe
Makes: 3 waffles. double for more.
tablespoons almond meal or almond flour
cup corn flour
cup oat flour
teaspoons baking powder
egg, separate yolk and white
cup milk of choice (I use homemade unsweetened almond milk)
teaspoon vanilla extract
tablespoons maple syrup
cup coconut oil, melted
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond meal, corn flour, oat flour, baking power, and sea salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolk, milk, vanilla, and maple syrup.
- Pour this wet mixture into the dry mixture and whisk to combine. The mixture will be quite runny.
- Pour in the coconut oil and whisk again. Batter will still be runny. Let it sit while you beat the egg white.
- Beat the egg white until it forms firm peaks - this takes about 60-90 seconds. Fold the egg white into the batter. There will still be small lumps of egg white in the batter. This is fine.
- Make sure your waffle iron is hot and grease it with a little coconut oil. Using a ladle, spoon batter onto waffle iron. On my waffle iron I use a medium high setting, cook it for about 5 minutes, and I get three large waffles from this recipe. Make sure waffle is browned and crispy - as shown in my photos - before you remove it from the waffle iron.