If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Hard to believe that South Indian food isn't really part of any class of cuisine in the world, considering there seems to be minimal 'invasion' and introduction of new ingredients to the region. And yet, its historically the ground ZERO for the spice trade.
Chukku Kaapi is yet another undiscovered gem in this culinary list. SImilar to Hawaij, the spiced coffee spice blend native to the Yemenite Jews of Israel (I definitely would not be surprised if they have a common shared historical origin dating back.).
Chukku kaapi is not a daily beverage of choice, but rather administered in times of a cold, or post partum (My mother used to pamper me every morning after I had my son, under the instruction that these spices helped heal and restore homeostasis after childbirth -- what a delicious route to recovery). For the first part of the recipe, use as much of the whole spice to yield the final quantity of the powdered version.
And yes.. the spice blend is not single dish specific. I used it to make a spectacular apple pie last thanksgiving.! —Panfusine
Serves makes ~ 1 cup of spice blend
Spice blend (all ingredients measured out to the final powdered spice)
- 3 tablespoons Coriander
- 2 tablespoons Dried Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Galangal
- 1/2 teaspoon Cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon Cloves
- 1 teaspoon Long Pepper (pippli/thippili)
- 1/2 teaspoon licorice root
- 1/4 - 1/3 cups coconut or toddy palm sugar
- Measure out each ingredient and sift all the powdered spices together. Combine all the ingredients along with the sugar and store in an airtight jar.
Coffee (2 servings)
- 4 tablespoons coffee powder of your choice
- 2 teaspoons chukku kaapi spice blend
- water as required
- milk or cream as required
- Add the spice blend to the coffee powder and brew your coffee as per your personal preference. Add milk if you choose and serve hot
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Made with Coffee
More Great Recipes: