- Makes one 9-inch square tart (or one 10-inch free-form round)
A hearty tart/galette made with buttery pie dough. When it bakes, the mascarpone gives a lightly creamy center, the perfect complement to the sweet pears, salty prosciutto, and sharp red onions. —Erin Jeanne McDowell
What You'll Need
recipe All Buttah Pie Crust (https://food52.com/recipes... mix the butter until it resembles roughly the size of peas
Herbes de Provence
freshly ground black pepper
red onion, thinly sliced
pears, cored and cut into 8 wedges (I like to leave the skin on, but you can peel if you like!)
egg wash, as needed
2 to 3 tablespoons
grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out half of the pie crust to about 1/8-inch thick. Try to maintain a square-ish shape while you roll. Use a straightedge and a knife to cut the ragged ends off of the dough: You’re aiming for a 9-inch square.
- Gently roll the dough up onto the rolling pin and unfurl over the prepared baking sheet. Chill the dough on the baking sheet in the refrigerator while you prepare the filling, 5 to 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk the mascarpone, Herbes de Provence, salt, and pepper to combine. Dollop the mixture in the center of the chilled pie crust, and spread evenly across the crust, leaving about 1 inch on all edges uncovered.
- Arrange the red onion, pear slices, and prosciutto on top of the mascarpone. Gently fold the exposed crust pieces over to encase the filling a bit.
- Brush any exposed crust with egg wash. Sprinkle the Parmesan over the crust. Bake the tart until the crust is very golden, the prosciutto is crisp, and the pears are very tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
I always have three kinds of hot sauce in my purse. I have a soft spot for making people their favorite dessert, especially if it's wrapped in a pastry crust. My newest cookbook, Savory Baking, came out in Fall of 2022 - is full of recipes to translate a love of baking into recipes for breakfast, dinner, and everything in between!