If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: “The Reuben” is a sandwich I first enjoyed while in middle school; its punch of savory flavors made it a favorite to order at deli's. Recreating a vegan, let alone, healthier alternative was a challenge, but I think I've hit all the flavors I remember. Vegan, gluten free, soy-free, low-carb and paleo-optional, you've got the sweet smokey pastrami essence, with a salty funk from the cream, flavors of rye bread from the cabbage, and crunch from the fava's.
Leave your fake meats & soy-cheeses for the rest of them, recreate one of America's favorites, while eating some real food.
"Pastrami" Grilled Carrots & Kraut-Cream Base
- 1 pound organic carrots, washed
- 16 ounces frozen cauliflower florets, thawed
- 1 cup german sauerkraut, rinsed & drained
- 14 ounces can cannellini beans, rinsed & drained
- 2 tablespoons pastrami spice rub or (bay, coriander, mustard, cloves, paprika)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- Slice carrots into coins. Steam for 10 minutes, remove and toss with oil and pastrami spice.
- Place on a non-stick grill grate, and grill until charred. Place in a food processor, and pulse to resemble shards of "rice."
- Remove, and add beans and sauerkraut. Puree until smooth, add in cauliflower. Puree until smooth.
- Fold sauerkraut puree into carrot mixture. Keep warm.
Kraut Frizzle & Rye Crunch
- 1 head green cabbage
- 1 cup plain roasted fava beans (bagged is fine)
- 1 tablespoon whole caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon pulverized caraway seeds
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1/4 cup vegan 1000 island dressing
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Finely shred cabbage. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Toss with olive oil spray, sea salt, and 1 tbsp. caraway seeds.
- Place fava's in a bowl, and toss with olive oil spray, sea salt, and crushed caraway seeds. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake both sheets for 10 minutes, remove fava beans and continue to roast cabbage until charred and crispy on edges, about 5-10 additional minutes.
- TO ASSEMBLE: Scoop a portion of the (warm) carrot base into a bowl. Drizzle 2 tbsp. dressing overtop, place a mound of cabbage overtop, and sprinkle with some of the crunchy fava beans. Drizzle with more dressing if preferred.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Recipe You're Most Proud Of