If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Hijiki can bring a mineral note to simple, starchy dishes. This one is very satisfying: comforting from the slightly caramelized parsnips and carrots and balanced with the brighter hijiki, zest, and chili flakes. This recipe uses Basic Hijiki no Nimono. —Katie Okamoto
- 4 parsnips, peeled
- 3 to 4 carrots, peeled
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- hot chili flakes, to taste
- 1/4 cup hijiki no nimono, prepared without carrots
- 1 lemon (preferably organic), washed
- finishing salt, such as Maldon
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Slice parsnips and carrots into medium-sized wedges of more or less uniform size, about 2 inches long and about 3/4-inch thick. Toss with oil and chili flakes. Roast for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and beginning to caramelize, but still have some bite.
- Allow the vegetables to cool slightly. Toss with hijiki no nimono, then shower with fresh lemon zest and plenty of sea salt.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!