Author Notes: This one is for the poutine purists: Crispy French fries, legit cheese curds so fresh that they squeak, and gloopy brown gravy that sticks to your ribs. —Dana Sandonato
tablespoons all-purpose flour
clove of garlic, minced
ounces beef broth
ounces chicken broth
Ground black pepper, to taste
pounds Extra Cripsy french fries
cup fresh cheese curds
- Bake the French fries in the oven as per the packages instructions.
- Set your cheese curds aside.
- In a small bowl or mug, combine the cornstarch and water. Stir until the corn starch has completely dissolved. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter.
- Add the flour, whisking often, for approx. 5 minutes or until the mixture turns golden brown in color.
- Add the garlic and simmer for another 30 seconds.
- Finally, add the beef and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, whisking regularly.
- Stir in the cornstarch and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Season with ground black pepper. Taste and season further if needed. Taste and season further if needed.
- Cover and keep warm until the fries are ready.
- Once the fries are ready, distribute them into their respective dishes. Spoon some gravy onto the fries, add the cheese curds (approx. 1/2 cup per serving), and then drizzle with more gravy so the curds get all melty.