If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These savory nuts have a hint of heat and just enough maple syrup to provide a glaze without making the nuts too sweet. When I make them, I use a combination of whole, shelled nuts such as of almonds, walnuts, pistachios and pecans. But, the addition or substitution of other nuts (peanuts, cashews) will work as well. Bring the finished product to a party or keep on hand for a snack. Just remember once you start eating them it is difficult to stop.
Note that this recipe makes four cups of nuts which works well to serve a crowd. For storage, place the nuts in an air-tight container once they have thoroughly cooled. —viblanco
Makes 4 cups
- 4 cups shelled, unsalted whole nuts (1 cup each of almonds, pistachios, walnuts, pecans)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled finely
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled finely
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled finely
- 3/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, finely ground into powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Spread the nuts on a large baking sheet. Add the oil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, chili powder and salt. Mix very well until all the nuts are well covered with the spices, herbs and oil. Spread the nuts so that it makes a thin layer on the baking sheet (as opposed to a pile).
- Bake the nuts until they are starting to brown or toast (not burning). This should take about 15 minutes, depending on your oven. During this time, remove the baking sheet from the oven to toss the nuts about every 4 - 5 minutes to make sure that they are toasting evenly and do not burn. Once tossed, return the sheet back into the oven to continue the toasting.
- Once the nuts are toasted, remove the baking sheet from the oven. Add the maple syrup to the hot nuts and mix well making sure that the nuts are covered with the syrup.
- For the best flavor, let the nuts completely cool and then serve (about 1 hour).