If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This Vegan Miso Soup is Nutritious and Delicious and Detoxifying! Featuring Shiitake Mushrooms, Sea Vegetables, Onions, Garlic, Scallions and Carrots! —Maren Epstein
Makes 7 cups
- 2 tablespoons Toasted or Raw Sesame Oil
- 1 Medium Onion, saute slice
- 1 Carrot, matchstick
- 2 Stalks of Celery, sliced thinly on the bias
- 10 Shiitake Mushrooms, thinly sliced with stems removed
- 6 Cloves of Garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 piece Kombu
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup Wakame
- 1/4 cup Arame
- 2 quarts Water
- 1 tablespoon Ginger Juice
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice or Brown Rice Vinegar
- 1 cup Mellow White Miso Paste
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Heat oil in a 3-quart pot. Add onions, carrots, celery, shiitakes, garlic, kombu and salt. Sweat covered for approximately 10 minutes on low heat.
- Add wakame, arame. Continue to sweat covered for another 10 minutes. While soup is cooking peel ginger with the back of a spoon. Grate into shreds and then using cheese cloth squeeze the juice out of the ginger and set it aside
- Add water, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for another 10-15 minutes. Turn off heat. Let broth stand for 5-10 minutes. Add ginger and lemon juice.
- Temper miso in bowl by mixing with 2 cups of broth. Add tempered miso back into the soup pot. Serve, garnished with scallions and nori.