If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When your mum ask for a special birthday cake with chocolate and dates, that's what happens. —Valentina | The Blue Bride
Makes 7'' / 18 cm cake pan
for the cake
- 450 milliliters plant based milk
- 2.5 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 365 grams applesauce
- 1 orange (juiced) + water to reach 150 ml
- 200 milliliters melted coconut oil
- 220 grams coconut sugar
- 365 grams whole wheat flour
- 90 grams cacao powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3.5 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350° F / 175° C and prepare three 7'' cake pans.
- In a measuring cup mix milk and vinegar and let sit for a few minutes to activate.
- In a big bowl mix flour, sugar, cacao – or cocoa – powder, salt and baking powder and stir with a spoon to be sure there is no lumps in your dry ingredients.
- Add to the measuring cup applesauce, orange juice plus water and coconut oil. Now pour the wet into the bowl and mix with a handle whisk.
- Divide batter in cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool completely. Go on with the left batter if you have to bake one cake at time.
for the fillings
- 500 grams medjoul dates
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- hot water
- 1 pinch vanilla powder
- 2-3 cans of coconut milk - not light
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 orange - the grated peel
- 25 grams coconut chips
- Blend dates, salt and vanilla adding water as needed to reach a smooth and not running cream. Reserve in fridge.
- Keep coconut milk in fridge for almost 24 hours.
- When you are ready to assemble the cake, remove the cans from the fridge, flip them upside down and open the bottom with an opener. Pour the liquid in a big jar and reserve it in the fridge to be used for curries or smoothies.
- Scoop the coconut cream from the can into a big bowl – better if refrigerated. Start whipping the cream adding the tablespoon of sugar and go on until fluffy.
- Time to assemble. Start with one layer of cake, spread some caramel, spread some coconut whipped cream, sprinkle with some grated orange peel. And go on in the same way until you reach the top and sprinkle with coconut chips.
- Reserve in fridge before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Dried Fruit
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Dates