If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The easiest frosting ever, it's very rich and dense. I like to use it for cupcakes or to top simple, single layer cakes. —Erin McDowell
Makes about 3 cups
- 8 ounces (1 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 pound confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) milk or heavy cream, at room temperature
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat room temperature butter until light and smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the confectioners' sugar (to prevent it exploding upward when you turn on the mixer), and mix on medium-low speed to combine. Once all the sugar is added, raise speed to medium-high and cream until light and fluffy, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract or other flavoring and mix to combine. If using milk or cream, pour it in and mix just until incorporated. The buttercream can be used immediately or refrigerated in an airtight container.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
More Great Recipes: Cakes