Author Notes: My attempt to recreate Marzipan Stollen but in Ice Cream form! —DicedTomato
cup Half and Half
Cinnamon Sticks, broken in half
peel from 1 large orange
cups heavy cream
cup chopped dried fruit such as raisins, currants, cherries, blueberries, and cranberries
cup marzipan, cut into half inch cubes
cup candied orange peel cut into tiny bits (~1/8 inch cubes)
In This Recipe
- In a bowl place dried fruit and add just enough brandy to cover the fruit. Place in fridge, covered to soak until hydrated.
- Place the marzipan bits in the freezer separated on a cookie sheet to get cold overnight.
- Warm the half and half, sugar, spices, and orange peel in a small saucepan until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and allow to steep for 30 min.
- Place the cream in a large bowl and place a thin mesh strainer over the cream.
- Rewarm the half and half/sugar/spice mixture over low heat. In another bowl, whisk the yolks. When the mixture is warm, add some of the mixture to the yolks, slowly, while whisking constantly in order to temper the yolks.
- Scrape all the yolk mixture back into the saucepan.
- Heat the mixture gently, constantly whisking, until the custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Pour the mixture through the strainer and into the cream. Discard any spice bits, orange peel, or gunk that remains.
- Warm the honey (I used the microwave for about 15-20 seconds) and then stir it into the rest of the custard base.
- Chill the base in the refrigerator over night.
- The next day, Churn the ice cream base as per the instructions of your machine.
- While churning, strain off any excess brandy from the fruit. Press gently to get any that have over-soaked. (Feel free to drink your now delicious flavored brandy!)
- When churned, place about 1/4 of the ice cream in a wide container and spread evenly. Sprinkle 1/3 of the brandied fruit, marzipan chunks, and candied orange.
- Add another 1/4 of the ice cream and repeat the layering process. Try not to move the fruit to much or the color will bleed.
- In the end you should have 4 layers of ice cream base + 3 layers of fillings in between.
- Place a piece of wax paper over the surface to prevent freezer burn, place the container lid tightly, and freeze overnight. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Dried Fruit