They're mean, they're green! Matcha powder makes these cookies greener than a gecko and pairs well with the flavor of almonds in these subtly sweet shortbread cookies.
They're mean, they're green! Matcha powder makes these cookies greener than a gecko and pairs well with the flavor of almonds in these subtly sweet shortbread cookies.—Abbie C
Makes: about two dozen cookies
cup European-style butter, room temperature
teaspoon almond extract
cups all-purpose flour
cup almond meal
tablespoon matcha powder
pinches salt (optional)
cup chopped almonds
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes). Mix in the almond extract.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, almond meal, matcha powder, and salt (if adding).
- Dump the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Add the chopped almonds until evenly mixed into dough.
- Put the dough into the refrigerator for 30 minutes, while your oven pre-heats to 350 degrees F.
- On a lightly floured surface, or parchment paper, roll the dough to a thickness of about 1/4" and use a small (~2" diameter) cookie cutter to cut cookies. Continue re-rolling dough and cutting cookies until no dough remains. Place cookies on a cookie sheet about 2" between each cookie.
- Bake cookies for 12-14 minutes, turning the cookie sheet about halfway through. Once out of the oven, allow cookies to rest on the cookie sheet for two minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely. Store cookies in an airtight container.