If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A simple skillet dinner ready in 30 minutes!
—garlic and zest
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Irish banger sausage
- 1/2 pound red skinned potatoes, sliced thinly crosswise
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly crosswise
- 1/2 head green cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced on a diagonal into 1/2" pieces
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth, divided
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a 10-inch skillet with a tight fitting lid, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. When the oil starts to glisten and moire, carefully add the sausages and cook, turning occasionally until browned. Transfer the sausages to a plate. Into the pan, over a medium heat, layer in half of the onion, potatoes and cabbage. Layer the remaining onions, potatoes and cabbage. Sprinkle with carrots and add 1 teaspoon of the thyme. Pour 3/4 cup of broth over the vegetables, sprinkle with salt and pepper and cover tightly. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- After the vegetables have cooked for 10 minutes, nestle the sausages into the potato mixture, along with any accumulated juices. Add the remaining broth and thyme, cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until potatoes and carrots are very tender. Remove the sausages and cut them into chunks. Return the sausages to the pan and serve.
- Can be doubled - use a 12" skillet.