If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is similar to a basic Caponata recipe, mushrooms have been added and it's missing capers, pine nuts, and olives (which IMHO would also be great tasting). This makes a nice side dish. —Pete
Serves 4 - 6
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3/4 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1/2 green bell pepper, julienned
- 1 cup sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup tomato sauce or 1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (or balsamic or combination of both)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ground black pepper
- In a saute pan heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, add the eggplant, and saute until soft and browned, about 10 minutes. With a slotted spoon or wire basket, remove eggplant and and place in a bowl, keeping any remaining olive oil in the pan. In the same pan, add the final 1 tbsp olive oil to the remaining oil, and cook the onion, celery, peppers and mushrooms. Saute until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic, tomato sauce, vinegar, cooked eggplant, sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes until vegetables are tender.