Author Notes: Bacon is the beginning of this spicy, savory, and smoky spread with dried apricots to add body and texture along with sweetness for an irresistible jam for your morning biscuit, or with pimento cheese on your hamburger! —WeLike2Cook
Makes: about 3 cups
medium onion, chopped
cloves garlic, minced
cup cider vinegar
cup brown sugar
cup dried apricots, chopped
1 - 2
tablespoons chipotles in adobo sauce, chopped
- Cook bacon until crisp and remove from pan onto paper towels to cool. Drain excess bacon fat into a small dish and reserve.
- Add chopped onions and minced garlic to the bacon grease remaining in the pan and sauté until onions are translucent. In the meantime, whisk together cider vinegar and brown sugar and add to the onions.
- Once fully incorporated, add in the apricots and coffee and bring to a quick boil before reducing the heat.
- Roughly chop the cooled bacon and add back to the pan along with chipotles and adobo sauce stirring to combine. Reduce the heat and simmer until the liquid is mostly evaporated.
- Allow the mixture to cool and then pulse in a food processor (about 10 pulses) until combined but still a bit chunky.
- Allow to cool completely as mixture will continue to thicken. Serve with pimento cheese and crackers… or just a spoon!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Dried Fruit