Author Notes: I don't think I ever repeat a recipe when it comes to potatoes. This version sounds rich and exotic, but in reality is rather simple and straight forward. I would serve it with yet another chutney made with guess what? dry fruits! (Date & Tamarind chutney) —Panfusine
large Russet potatoes
dried Calymyrna Figs
cup mix of risins, sour cherries and dried cranberries
cup mix of poppy & sesame seeds, lightly toasted
tablespoons Corn starch
teaspoon Smoked Ancho chile powder
Salt to taste
Oil for Pan frying
- Boil the potatoes, peel and knead to a smooth 'dough, adding the corn starch and salt. Set Aside.
- Soak the figs and the assorted dried fruit in scalding hot water for 1/2 hour until soft, Drain and squeeze out excess liquid. Add to a food processor and process to a coarse paste. Add the toasted sesame/poppyseed blend , Paprika, Ancho chile powder, Allspice and salt to taste. Using a spatula fold the mix together to evenly disperse the sesame mix and the spices. Divide into 10 spheres
- Roughly divide the potato 'dough into 10 parts, roughly shape into a 'cup using the palm of your hands. Place one 'ball' of the fig filling in the center and cover completely. Gently flatten into a disk, making sure that the filling does not show through.
- Heat the Oil in a non stick skillet. Gently place the patties 2 or 3 at a time and fry each side for about 3-4 minutes until it turns golden brown. Flip over and fry the other side. Transfer onto a plate lined with kitchen towels to absorb any excess oil. Serve hot with your choice of Coriander/mint chutney (https://food52.com/recipes/12346-vegetable-chutney-sandwich) and Sweet-sour date tamarind chutney (https://food52.com/recipes/10460-sweet-sour-date-and-tamarind-sauce)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Dried Fruit