If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I don't think I ever repeat a recipe when it comes to potatoes. This version sounds rich and exotic, but in reality is rather simple and straight forward. I would serve it with yet another chutney made with guess what? dry fruits! (Date & Tamarind chutney) —Panfusine
- 4 large Russet potatoes
- 9-10 dried Calymyrna Figs
- 1/2 cup mix of risins, sour cherries and dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup mix of poppy & sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- 2 tablespoons Corn starch
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Ancho chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch allspice
- Salt to taste
- Oil for Pan frying
- Boil the potatoes, peel and knead to a smooth 'dough, adding the corn starch and salt. Set Aside.
- Soak the figs and the assorted dried fruit in scalding hot water for 1/2 hour until soft, Drain and squeeze out excess liquid. Add to a food processor and process to a coarse paste. Add the toasted sesame/poppyseed blend , Paprika, Ancho chile powder, Allspice and salt to taste. Using a spatula fold the mix together to evenly disperse the sesame mix and the spices. Divide into 10 spheres
- Roughly divide the potato 'dough into 10 parts, roughly shape into a 'cup using the palm of your hands. Place one 'ball' of the fig filling in the center and cover completely. Gently flatten into a disk, making sure that the filling does not show through.
- Heat the Oil in a non stick skillet. Gently place the patties 2 or 3 at a time and fry each side for about 3-4 minutes until it turns golden brown. Flip over and fry the other side. Transfer onto a plate lined with kitchen towels to absorb any excess oil. Serve hot with your choice of Coriander/mint chutney (https://food52.com/recipes/12346-vegetable-chutney-sandwich) and Sweet-sour date tamarind chutney (https://food52.com/recipes/10460-sweet-sour-date-and-tamarind-sauce)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Dried Fruit