If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Makes 2 long loaves
- 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 4 cups durum wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Olive oil
The Glaze and Toppings
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup cool water
- 1 teaspoon nigella seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Mix water and yeast in a large bowl, allowing the yeast to become foamy before proceeding. Add flour and salt to the yeast mixture. Using a mixer wit the dough hook attached (or simply a wooden spoon or your hands), mix on low speed until flour is integrated. Increase the speed to medium high and knead until the dough is elastic, about 6 minutes. Coat a clean bowl with olive oil and transfer the dough to rest at room temperature “until the dough is softer than a firm balloon, is supple and holds and indentation when pressed lightly, about 1 hour.”
- Turn the dough onto floured surface, divide in half, gently form each piece into a rectangle, and form a log-shaped roll. Loosely cover the dough and let rest until the dough has risen again and is supple. Mix the all-purpose flour, honey, olive oil, and the water in a small saucepan. Cook, whisking constantly, about 2 minutes. Pour into a small bowl and set aside.
- Place a pizza stone inside your oven, preheat the oven to 450° F, and line two sheet trays with parchment.
- Take one piece of dough and gently extend it out on the sheet tray (it should be approximately 14 inches long x 5 inches wide). Use your fingers to poke down the length of the loaf, forming 5 deep ridges lengthwise. Rub half the flour paste over the dough and sprinkle with half the nigella and sesame seeds. Repeat with the other loaf of bread. Let the two loaves rise another 20 minutes or so, and then slide the loaf (on the parchment paper) onto the pizza stone (if you don't have a pizza stone, you can simply bake the bread on the sheet tray). Bake until golden brown, about 18 minutes.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!