If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A vegetarian variant of the popular taco, with soft shells made from zucchini, topped with fried halloumi, mint, crushed almonds and natural yoghurt. —Fernando @ Eating With Your Hands
- 4 cups zucchini, coarsely grated
- 1 large egg
- 0.5 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 0.25 bread crumbs
- 0.5 teaspoons freshly grated black pepper
- 0.25 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- 0.25 teaspoons garlic powder
- 0.25 cups plain flour
- 500 grams halloumi, drained, cut crossways into 1cm-thick slices
- 0.5 cups olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- Handful crushed almonds
- Natural yoghurt
- Lemon wedges
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F / 232 Celsius.
- Remove as much moisture as you can from the zucchini. Add zucchini to large bowl and mix in remainder of the taco shell ingredients (egg, parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, and cumin).
- Cover baking sheets with parchment paper or oven proof baking mat. Scoop about ¼ cup of mixture and press down on baking pan into a thin circle, about 5” wide. Repeat for remainder of mixture.
- Bake shells for about 25 minutes, or until the shells look “crisp’ and brown around the edges. We like to bake the shells a little longer for a more charred texture and flavor. Just be careful to not bake too long or else the shells dry out and are hard to peel off.
- After zucchini soft taco shells are cool, gently peel them off the parchment paper.
- For the halloumi: Place the flour on a plate. Coat halloumi in flour and shake off any excess.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add half the haloumi and cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until light golden brown. Transfer to a serving platter. Repeat with remaining halloumi.
- Sprinkle the halloumi with mint, crushed almonds and drizzle with extra oil and some yoghurt. Serve immediately with lemon wedges, if desired.