If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love breakfast. I love pancakes and I love good French toast. This is a technique I discovered having my morning meal at one of my favorite breakfast hangouts. I didn’t ask the chef for her recipe I just started fooling around with it myself. This is what I came up with. I used stone ground wheat bread dipped in milk and egg and dredged in crushed frosted flakes. You can use another flakey cereal if you prefer. Simple and delicious. —pierino
slices stone ground wheat bread, each sliced in half
cup frosted flakes, corn flakes or Total
Maple or fruit syrup or jam (I’ll leave that up to you)
Butter for griddle
- 1) Set up your griddle station using pie pans and a sheet pan. Put the milk in the first pan, the egg in the second and the flakes in the sheet pan.
- 2) Cover the flakes with plastic wrap or a thick plastic bag. Use a meat pounder or the bottom of a heavy pan to crush them into coarse meal.
- 3) When your griddle is sufficiently hot melt the butter. Dip the bread slices in the milk, the egg and then dredge in the flakes. Place the bread in the pan but don’t crowd them.
- 4) When the bottoms are dark brown, turn them. Allow 2-3 minutes per side but don’t burn them.
- 5) Plate the toasts and sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar. Top with fruit and syrup and serve.