If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Guilt-free chai muffins that are very moist and delicious! Sprinkling granola on the muffins before baking creates a wonderful crunchy topping, but note that the granola will get soggy after a day. If not eating immediately, I would top the muffins with sliced almonds or pecans. This is a small batch recipe that makes 1/2 dozen muffins, please double for a full dozen! —JC
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/8 cup vegetable oil
- 1/8 cup applesauce
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 packets chai tea bags
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons water
- sliced almonds or granola (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Steep 2 tea bags in warm almond milk and set aside for at least 5 minutes. Remove tea bags, pressing bags to release excess tea.
- In a small bowl, mix flax meal and water and let sit for 5 minutes until gel-like (this is an egg substitute).
- In another bowl, stir together whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix oil, applesauce, sugar, flaxseed mixture, and vanilla. Add flour mixture and milk mixture, beating after each addition just until combined.
- Spoon into muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full. Sprinkle with sliced almonds or granola. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Remove muffins, cool, and enjoy!