Author Notes: On our honeymoon in India, my husband and I became separated from our fabulous driver one sweltering afternoon in the bangle bazaars of Jaipur. At a loss for how to reconnect (no cell phones!), we headed for the one place we were sure he would come looking: the cafe where we returned time and again to cool off over an icy lassi. With this recipe, though it takes a bit more time, I really recommend grinding the cardamom fresh. - gluttonforlife —gluttonforlife
Food52 Review: This recipe is quick to blend up, but leaves you feeling as if you've traveled to an exotic locale. The spices and sugar are a perfect foil for the tangy yogurt. I adore cardamom, but don't use saffron much in my kitchen -- I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked how it tastes in this lassi. The saffron also adds lovely orange colored flecks to this delicious drink. It's a wonderful warm weather refresher as is; I also loved it with a banana blended in (and have added it to my breakfast repertoire). - WinnieAb —The Editors
cups whole-milk organic yoghurt
cup ice water
pinch saffron threads
generous pinch sea salt
teaspoon freshly ground cardamom
- In a small cup, stir saffron into 1 tablespoon boiling water; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Puree yogurt, sugar, cardamom, salt and saffron mixture in blender until thoroughly mixed. Chill until ice cold.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Refresher