Author Notes: Delicious Chinese sweet dumplings, filled with a tasty mix of sesame and ginger. Traditionally for lantern festival but good to enjoy any time. —carolinescooking
cup glutinous rice flour
tablespoons water (for dough)
tablespoons crushed sesame seeds
teaspoons crystalized ginger, finely chopped
teaspoons water (for filling)
In This Recipe
- Mix the flour and water for the dough to make a smooth dough.
- Chop the ginger as small as possible and mix with the sesame, sugar and water for filling to form a paste.
- Divide the dough into eight equal pieces and flatten each one out into a circle around 2in/5cm across.
- Put a rounded teaspoon of the sesame paste in the middle of each piece of dough and press the paste together to hold tight.
- Carefully bring up the sides of the dough to join together round the filling. Once all joined, gently roll in floured hands to form a ball. Do this with all of the pieces of dough before cooking any.
- When ready to cook, bring a pan of water to the boil and add the balls of dough. Cook for a couple of minutes until they rise to the top then remove and serve, dusted with ground peanuts/almonds if you prefer.