If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Inspired by a dish I once had in Taiwan called Mahjong Noodles, this recipe coats noodles with a blend of black sesame, ginger, and garlic as well as some extra heat in the way of spicy red chiles and the gooey deliciousness of a soft boiled egg. Best of all, you can throw the whole thing together in about 20 minutes. I highly recommend serving with a hot mug of oolong tea. —Sarah | Wisconsin from Scratch
- 3 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- salt to taste
- 4 ounces dried thin Chinese style egg noodles (sub angel hair pasta in a pinch)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallion (green parts only)
- 1 teaspoon finely sliced thai chile peppers (more or less to taste)
- Using a mortar and pestle, grind sesame seeds until they achieve a pastelike consistency. Add the garlic, ginger, sesame oil, and soy sauce and continue mixing in the mortar and pestle until everything is thoroughly combined. Season to taste with salt if needed.
- Fill a small pot with water and bring to a boil. Carefully lower eggs into the boiling water, being very careful not to crack their shells. Reduce heat to low and cook eggs at a rolling boil for 5 minutes. Remove eggs carefully and place in an ice bath.
- Cook noodles according to package instructions. Remove noodles from pot using a slotted spoon and transfer to a large bowl along with 1-2 T of the water they were cooked in. Immediately add the sesame mixture to the hot noodles and mix until noodles are evenly coated.
- Divide noodles evenly into two bowls. Remove eggs from ice bath and peel under running water. Place one egg atop each bowl of noodles. Evenly sprinkle with scallions, chiles, and a splash of sesame oil. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Sesame