Author Notes: I've discovered that roasted rhubarb is the best way for me to preserve the sweet pink colour. As with roasting, the taste is accentuated and mixed with a lime-sugar syrup, it is the perfect base for light ginger ale, lemonade or sparkling water....on ice —Kitchen Butterfly
rhubarb, rinsed and cut into 2cm pieces
cup caster sugar
of a split vanilla pod
juniper berries, lightly crushed
Juice of 1/2 a lime
- Mix the rhubarb pieces with 1/4 cup of sugar, tossing well so the pieces are coated.
- Bake in an oven at 200 degrees centigrade for 15-20 minutes till the rhubarb is soft (test using the tip of a sharp knife)
- While the rhubarb is roasting, combine the remaining 1/4 cup sugar, water, vanilla and juniper berries. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to a gentle simmer, stirring well till the sugar is melted.
- Remove from the heat and add the lime juice, then stir well.
- When the rhubarb is done roasting, pour the lime sugar syrup into the roasting tin and stir well. Scrape the vanilla seeds and discard the pod.
- Pour into a blender/use a hand blender and process till smooth. Pass the mixture through a sieve, pressing on the mixture with a spoon to extract as much juice as possible. Discard the thick mush left over.
- Let the mixture cool down/refrigerate till ready to serve.
- To serve, share the rhubarb syrup between two glasses and top up with your drink of choice - lemonade, ginger ale or sparkling water, ice cubes and lime slices
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soda Fountain Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Rhubarb