Author Notes: test kitchen experiment for a dinner i put together —abuck
- 16 ounces Arctic Char filet, cut into 4oz portions
- 4 bunches mache
- 2 Cara Cara oranges
- 3 ounces neutral oil (peanut, canola)
- 1 ounce sudachi juice
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 pinch korean chili flakes (or other smokey chili flakes)
- kosher salt
- 4 ounces duck fat
- brine the arctic char in a 20% (by weight) solution of water and salt for 20 minutes
- drain and dry the arctic char
- portion arctic char into individual zip lock bags or vacuum sealed bags with 1 oz of duck fat per bag.
- cook the arctic char bags in a water bath at 50° C (122F) for 1 hour sous-vide. you could skip the previous 3 steps and pan fry the arctic char in duck fat if you desire.
- create a vinaigrette using the oil, sudachi juice, chili flakes, and sugar- combine in a container and shake vigorously.
- supreme the oranges
- dress the mache lightly with some of the vinaigrette in a small bowl, plate the oranges and fish, then spoon the rest of the dressing around the fish.