If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I was struggling for a light, refreshing, and quick side dish for our bean sandwiches last night. Yes, you heard me, bean sandwiches. Just like when we were kids. Mountain Man and I both grew up having pinto beans on two pieces of white bread (last night was whole wheat). What a delight and yummy comfort food.
Anyhoo, I had about several Roma tomatoes, all perfectly red, ripe and ready to eat. They were the perfect side to the perfect bean sandwich. Actually, they would be a perfect side for almost any sandwich, summertime pasta dish, or even roast pork or chicken. Now that I think about it, it's just a great all-around salad. Light, refreshing, and very tasty. See if you don't think so yourself. I didn't refrigerate ours before serving and the taste of the tomatoes came bursting through. If you do refrigerate, be sure and take the salad out of the refrigerator prior to eating long enough for the olive oil to warm up and liquefy a bit before serving. You could also add some fresh Mozzarella or Parmigiano-Reggiano grated cheese just before serving to give it a bit more of an Italian flair.
This was a perfect summer's evening treat and would be great picnic food, too. —vivisue
- 4 Roma tomatoes, sliced long into quarters
- 1/4 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl until tomatoes and onions are thoroughly coated. Serve with your favorite meal, or with a warm piece of crusty, buttered bread.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Basil