- Serves 6
I tired to catpure the flavors of Mexican hot chocolate and spiced coffee that I enjoy when traveling in Mexico. I incorporate chocolate, coffee, vanilla, cinnamon and organe into a rich custrady Frehnc toast. —JoanG
What You'll Need
- Preparing the baked French Toast
slices good, crusty bread, cut in halves
discs of Mexican chocolate, used to make hot chocoalte, such as the Ibarra or Abuelita brnads
dark brown sugar
raw cane sugar
pinch sea salt
grated orange rind
eggs, lightly beaten
rawa cane sugar
Mexican sour cream (crema) or regular sour cream
- In a small pot over low heat, melt the chocolate discs in the coffee. Stir until mlted. Sitr in the butter, and sugars and mix well.Remove from heat. Mix in vanilla, cinnamon, salt, and orange rind. . Let cool for about 15 minutes.
- Add the cream and eggs and mix until well combined. Grease the baking dish and line it with the bread slices. Overlapping and making sure the crust is pointed up
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the bread, making sure to cover the tips. Push the bread down with your fingers to coat the bread completely. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 2 hours. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Bake until the custard sets and the bread turns golden at the edges, about 30 minutes.
- While the French toast bakes, heat the almonds, cinnamon, and sugar together in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat until the sugar melts into the almonds, turning them a gold brown. Remove from heat and cool on a plate until ready to serve.
- Whisk the maple syrup into the crema or sour cream. Serve slices of the warm French toast with a topping of the maple cream and a sprinkle of candied almonds
I love food! I love to cook, eat, read about food, write about food, and enjoy meals with friends and family. I have been writing a food memoir for the past decade and am just about done! I epsecially love to create recipes using seasonal and local produce. I love to travel and wherever I go I shop at markets, cook, and try to take a cooking class.