If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is from Acapulco, Mexico where, many years ago, my husband and I were guests at a beautiful villa overlooking the Pacific ocean. It was the kind of place that came with a pool, a cook, and a bartender/driver. We left the villa maybe 3 or 4 times. It was Heaven. Before we had to return to the real world, we scribbled down this recipe from our cook, Gabby. We've made it many times since. Note: For optimal results, use the best ingredients. Buy the best bread you can find. Use the best ricotta and the best preserves or jelly. It makes a huge difference! - Waverly —Waverly
Food52 Review: For kids, dunking these finger sandwiches in maple syrup will make Saturday breakfast even more fun than it already is. Grown-ups might opt to skip that step, to get at the delicious ricotta and jam layer that much faster. This soft, jammy interior contrasts beautifully with the supple, eggy crust. A tip: for perfectly aligned edges, don't slice away the crusts till after you've assembled the ricotta and jam sandwiches. - Kristen —The Editors
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 8 slices good bakery bread, crusts removed (sourdough is especially nice)
- 4 tablespoons (use more or less to taste) Ricotta cheese (cream cheese may be substituted)
- 4 tablespoons (use more or less to taste) strawberry or blueberry preserves (use Bonne Maman, 100% fruit, or your favorite)
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- powdered sugar
- maple syrup
- PREP: In a small bowl, combine egg and milk and beat with a fork until frothy. Spread each slice of bread with ricotta cheese and then jelly. Put two slices of bread together to make a sandwich. Slice sandwiches lengthwise into three strips.
- FRY: In a large skillet, melt the butter. One at a time, dip the finger sandwiches into the batter to coat completely. When butter is bubbling, fry finger sandwiches until golden and crispy, about 2 minutes on each side.
- SERVE: Dust sandwiches with powdered sugar and cinnamon. Serve with maple syrup for dipping.