Author Notes: This recipe is based on a simple potato salad I learned from my ex mother in law. Sometimes I will add diced beets in addition to the potatoes. - Zahirah —Holly
Food52 Review: Oma's potato salad is classic, delicious and fantastically frill-free. Use any kind of potatoes you like. I preferred little red ones to add some color. Leave those skins on. It's easier, tastier and healthier. The magic of this recipe lies in the eggs. An entire table of recipe testers commented on how much they liked the eggs in the salad. The lemon brings a refreshing tang, and a healthy dose of salt highlights the flavors. Oma's is an timeless crowd-pleaser! - CatherineJagers —The Editors
bunch Fresh parsley, finely chopped
Yellow onion, finely diced
Sea salt, to taste
- Juice lemons and finely chop parsley, set aside both.
- Finely dice onion, and add to the lemon juice.
- Boil eggs, set aside to cool.
- Boil or steam potatoes in lightly salted water, then set aside to cool. I do not peel potatoes because I like the skin, but if you don't, try to peel them when they're still hot, without burning yourself.
- Separate yolks from egg whites. Dice egg whites, and set aside. Mash yolks, adding a drizzle of olive oil to make a paste, then add mixture to the lemon juice. Add parsley.
- Once potatoes have cooled, dice them. Add egg whites. Drizzle olive oil over both, and mix. Pour lemon juice-yolk dressing on top, and mix well. Enjoy!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Potato Salad