Author Notes: For some reason, I love tarragon in the spring. It is great in egg salad, but it is also perfect with those tender spring vegetables like asparagus and peas. For this dish, I paired it with asparagus and new potatoes that I oven roasted. The dish can be eaten warm, cold, or at room temperature (my favorite). Because it is so portable, it makes a great picnic or pool-side dish, which seems to be what I am craving more and more on these warm spring evenings. When we eat this at home, there is a bit of Jack Sprat and his wife going on: my son picks out the asparagus and eats the potatoes; my youngest daughter picks out the potatoes and eats the asparagus. But they both enjoyed the tarragon flavor, and my husband, oldest daughter and I love the entire combination. —[email protected]
cup, plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
salt and pepper to taste
approximately 25 small new potatoes, scrubbed
tablespoons minced fresh tarragon
Vidalia or othe sweet onion, thinly sliced
cup white vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Snap the ends off the asparagus and reserve them for another purpose. Toss the asparagus with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, a few grinds of pepper, and a sprinkle of salt. Roast the asparagus until they are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. When they have cooled a bit, slice them diagonally into bite-sized pieces.
- In a separate pan (or in the same pan if you have time and want to save dirtying another pan), toss the potatoes with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast them, too, until they are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooking, slice the onion and mince the tarragon. When the potatoes are done, let them cool until they are just cool enough to handle. Cut them in half or in smaller pieces if they are large and, while they are still warm, toss them in a large bowl with the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil and the white vinegar.
- Add the asparagus and tarragon. Taste, and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Potato Salad