Author Notes: This cracker has a little zing and pairs nicely with a soft cheese course, like my Ricotta, Chevre and Mint Layers with Balsamic Strawberries. —mrslarkin
Makes: 1 1/2 - 2 dozen
cup all-purpose flour, or half a/p and half whole wheat flour
teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
2 - 3
teaspoons fresh cracked black pepper
tablespoon lemon zest
tablespoon granulated sugar
tablespoons unsalted butter, slightly softened, cut into 1/2" chunks
a glass of ice water
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, salt, pepper, zest and sugar. Process for 30 seconds.
- Add butter and process for 30 seconds or until butter is the size of small peas.
- While processor is running, add 1 tablespoon of ice water through the feed tube. Add more ice water until a dough ball forms. I usually use about 2 tablespoons of ice water.
- Have a 12" long piece of plastic wrap laid out on your counter.
- Remove dough from processor and place on plastic wrap.
- With floured fingers, gently roll dough into a 6" log and wrap in plastic.
- Freeze log for about a half hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degres F. Line one large sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Remove log from freezer. With a sharp knife, cut into 1/8" to 1/4" slices. Place on prepared sheet pan.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or until bottoms are nicely browned. I flip my crackers for the last three minutes or so, ensuring they are uniformly brown on both sides.
- Let cool completely.