cups leek (about 1 leek)
tablespoons sunflower oil
cups raw pumpkin seeds
cups good chicken or vegetable stock
Salt and pepper
Pumpkin seeds and pumpkin seed oil for decoration
- Cut off the root of the leek and trim dark green part, slice lengthwise and then cut crosswise into 1 inch long pieces. Wash the leeks with cold water, scoop them out with a sieve.
- Heat 3 tbsp of the oil and sauté leeks until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add pumpkin seeds and stock, season with salt and pepper.
- Let boil for 20-25 minutes. Cool slightly, play safe and process in the blender, you have to work in batches. Remove centre piece on the lid but keep cover with a tea towel so the steam can escape.
- Adjust thickness of the soup; you will probably need more liquid.
- Reheat and serve with pumpkin seeds and pumpkin seed oil.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Savory (Winter) Squash Recipe