Author Notes: Radishes with butter and salt – so simple and so delicious. This compound butter is very fragrant. For the herbs, feel free to substitute parsley, mint, chives, chervil, or most any herb that you like. The juniper berries are aromatic and subtly piney, and pair nicely with the rosemary. The idea for adding radishes to the compound butter came from the blog Apple Pie, Patis, Pâté. Here's the link: www.applepiepatispate.com/appetizer/radish-herb-butter. - mrslarkin —mrslarkin
Food52 Review: The flavors of this butter absolutely exploded in my mouth which, since I had it for breakfast, was a more effective morning jolt than even my cup of coffee! The bite of the radish and garlic is enveloped and tempered by the creamy sweetness of good butter and made quite elegant by the pungent aromas from the juniper berries and rosemary. The juniper berries really make it unique, so I would make an effort to include those. After taking a bite of this butter, spread on a nice hunk of crusty baguette, I was instantly transported to somewhere far more exciting—and more French—than my little breakfast table. Admittedly my breath smelled of garlic the rest of the day, but I loved it! - fiveandspice —The Editors
- 1 - 2 green garlic, rough chopped (bulb, stalk and some tender green leaves), or substitute 1 fat garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 small sprig fresh rosemary, needles removed and set aside
- 8 - 10 juniper berries, crushed (optional)
- 4 ounces unsalted butter (1 stick), softened (spreadable but not really mushy)
- sea salt or kosher salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 6 French breakfast radishes, or any radishes, cut into thin rounds, then julienned
- In a medium bowl, place garlic, rosemary and juniper berries into a mini chopper and process until minced. Remove to a bowl and add the butter. Mash together. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the radishes and gently fold together.
- Serve with additional salt, if desired, and crusty bread, crostini or crackers.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Radishes or Turnips
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Radish Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Condiment