If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I recently moved and to celebrate the last night in our old neighborhood, we went out to eat at a fancy restaurant where my fiancé and I celebrated our second anniversary last year. One of the small plates that we ordered was black radishes with truffle oil and cheddar cheese. This dish was probably one of the most decadent little appetizers I’ve ever had – a truffled sauce with big chunks of sharp cheddar cheese with roasted black radishes. Although it was more decadent than I normally like, I still left the meal feeling inspired to try out a similar recipe for the radishes I had in my fridge. I decided to recreate the recipe as best as I could with a few additions. Although I realize that the final product is completely different than what I had at the restaurant, I think the sweetness of the caramelized onions offsets the pungency of the radishes and the cheese without adding a lot of additional calories or fat.
You could make this side dish with any radish really, but it’s especially nice with the pungent black radish (which is absolutely an intimidating little veggie).
This recipe was inspired by Maite in Bushwick, Brooklyn. I originally published the recipe on the Nextdoorganics blog. —Kylie Thompson
- 5 black radishes
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons black truffle oil
- Crumbled sharp cheddar cheese (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives
- salt and pepper
- Prep Your Ingredients: Preheat oven to 425ºF. Scrub the black radishes and trim off the tops and the bottoms and quarter. Peel, halve, and thinly slice the onion. Finely chop the chives.
- Brown the Onions: Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet. When hot and just shimmering, add the sliced onions. Stirring regularly, continue to cook the onions for about thirty minutes or until they’ve caramelized and are golden brown. The Kitchn offers an amazing how-to for browning onions perfectly every time.
- Cook the Radishes: Remove the onions from the pan and set aside. Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet and add the radishes. Season with salt and pepper and coat the radishes with oil and cook in the oven for about 25-30 minutes or until golden brown on the bottoms and tender.
- Truffles: Carefully remove the skillet from the oven and add the onions back to the pan and combine with the radishes over medium heat. Add half the chives and stir to combine. Drizzle with two teaspoons of truffle oil. Remove the skillet from the heat and crumble half of the cheese into the skillet. Stir quickly to combine.
- Plate it Up: Spoon the radishes into a serving dish and top with the remaining chives and crumbled cheese. Enjoy!